Saturday, July 16, 2011

Commitment to Being Daft...

The Commitments (1991) is about some Irish lads deciding to create a soul band, because they consider themselves the "blacks of Europe, Ireland, and North Dublin." The ironically funny part is they actually become good. Moral of the story: oppression does bring creativity. As they progress with gigs and development of chemistry they get better and better. Naturally as all bands start to take off, strife takes over and someone causes drama.

Overall this was a good movie if you like smartass Irish slang, American soul, and attempting to understand why on earth people in the 90s are willing to pay to see songs written 40 years ago when there are tons of pubs in Dublin with cover bands 4 nights out of the week (which still boggles me).

After my experience last night feeding my family Irish car bombs and being groped by my uncle who thought I was my aunt and my cousin deciding to rest her tit on my head, I thought a Christy Moore of Planxty song involving incest would be properly suited.

My drunchies are hitting now...bullocks, this training for drinking in Ireland is taking its toll on me...

~Will

No comments:

Post a Comment