Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The First Time I Have Ever Posted About Seals That Did Not Involve Clubbing Them

Today’s movie selection is one called The Secret of Roan Inish (1994) which was actually good, if you like folk tales. The movie is about a little girl who is sent back to the countryside from her father’s side to live with her grandparents. While there she learns many folk tales from her grandfather, specifically about how she lost her brother named Jimmy to the sea from her great grandmother, who is a seal (no, I am not kidding).

The only way she thinks that the seal will give her brother back is if she gets her family to move back to the island off the coast that her family used to live on called Roan Inish. After watching these kids fix all the huts on the island, I felt very inadequate as an American. These kids redid roofs, fixed chimneys, plastered walls and reset stones outside the cottages. Other than making me feel inadequate, it was a good folk story movie, which since Ireland thrives on many of them, and is a good watch.

That being said, I'm going to go get drunk with my family on my Aunts back porch in preparation for Ireland, but before I go, I leave you with this Irish tune, one about a wake that goes horribly wrong because the “dead” has a bunch of friends who are worse drunks than he is:




Irish car bombs, all-around!

~Will

No comments:

Post a Comment