Saturday, July 9, 2011

Metal Homework for Ireland

So for my game plan while over there I have been doing research on what precisely I wanted to do and where I wanted to go that wasn’t too touristy (what can I say? I want to experience the real thing, just like when the guys in that Sons of Anarchy show went over there). Primarily I want to see the difference in metal culture over there as opposed to here in Florida, and I’ve found two sites to help me do so.

The first one is this lovely site called MetalIreland.com (original I know, but effective) which I have been looking on the forums attempting to find metal venues and shows, which has not been too successful, but eh, at least they sell cool t-shirts.

Secondly has been the Metal Travel Guide site which I find a phenomenal site for any metalhead traveling to any land they are to be estranged in. It lists any venues where metal shows take place and rates them out of 5 skulls. Granted it is going to be tricky for me to get to any of the venues in Dublin with my packed schedule and with an abundant amount of bars to go to. The only two of note that look worthwhile are the International and Fibbers Rock Bar.

Fibbers Rock Bar seems to be an actual successful “rock bar” in Dublin. After viewing the page, it seems gimmicky and the fact that it looks like it is treating metal culture how Paddywagons, a local bar here in Lakeland, treats Irish culture as a gimmick, I am skeptical on whether or not to waste my time there.

The other bar is The International Bar, which does not qualify as a metal bar, but has standup comedy (which if I am drinking, I will be laughing at their accents regardless while simultaneously being envious of it) and plays blues and jazz music on Saturday nights. I cant find anything online about blues from Ireland aside from a movie our professor had us watch called The Commitments.

The only other one that looks appealing is a Bar called Sally Longs in Galway, which looks rather promising if I do say.

This being said, time to start packing for Ohio so I can pack for Ireland…this is going to be a frustratingly chaotic next few days…

Also, on a side note, Ill be posting Irish songs that I approve of every entry for people to get a taste of what Im listening to at the time of posting, and for our first entry, obviously, its metal. For those of you oblivious to what Irish folk metal sounds like, heres a nice link for you to a band I’ve grown rather fond of named Waylander:

DEATH!

~Will

\m/

No comments:

Post a Comment