Friday, July 22, 2011

Getting There

So after not really sleeping 3 nights in a row in order to get over here, I think an explanation is in order.

Mom, Dad, my niece Ruby and I all arrived at Tampa international with no problems aside from a piece of sheet metal causing a traffic jam on I-275 and having to detour (bad omen). We flew to Chicago for a 4 hour overlay at O’Hare International Airport, which sadly had no authentic deep dish pizza or hot dog eateries in it, so I left the airport deprived of fulfilling that dream. International flights suck balls. From O’Hare to Dublin was 7 hours, consisting of a shitty Matt Damon movie involving magical fedoras and some other movie with some girl named Selena Gomez in it who is apparently famous (and who hasn’t posted topless pictures of herself online and still works for Disney). Also I apparently leaned forward to sleep against the seat in front of me which irritated an old back injury I sustained and pulled a muscle which has been bothering me all day (bad omen strikes).
We arrived to find that instead of the temperature being 60 degrees it was, in fact, 45 degrees. After being in Florida at 90 degrees and then Chicago at 95 degrees it was welcomed with open arms and felt phenomenal. We were shuttled to Trinity University and checked in and shown our rooms, which sadly enough is nicer than the room I have at home. We were allowed to wander for 4 hours until our guided bus tour, which in that time I walked up and down Grafton Street (similar to Ybor City during the day for you Tampa locals reading this, just a bit more touristy…and green) before returning to get an hour nap. The bus tour was nothing special, aside from it being a double decker bus with an open roof where I made it blatantly obvious to anyone watching that I was intent on raping anything of interest with my camera, homeless people included (I am not picky).
We went our separate ways on Grafton Street and as I was wandering around window shopping when I came across a small hallway that led back into darkness with nothing visible but a giant blue neon Metallica sign. For those of you that know me, you know my distain for the band, but it is a banner that many metalheads follow, so I went down the hallway which led to some stairs. I went down the stairs to find a sign that said Sound Cellar and continued down to find metal posters all over the walls, ceiling, and merchandise everywhere. I was home. Made a few friends, argued over Lemmy’s poor choice in sound technicians and equipment on his last tour, and got some names of bars that actually are metal and a show to go to Monday night, which you have no idea how badass that is!
After that we all walked down to Temple Bar (no, it’s not a bar, it’s an area full of bars) and ate at the Quay Bar & Restaurant located there. I do the most stereotypical thing I can think of while there and order a burger, fries, and a Guinness, which I was happy to find that Guinness actually does taste better over here then in America. My back started to act up bad so I had to leave the restaurant and return to my room early, which I sit here now writing this blog. Not bad for the first day in Ireland, right? I have class tomorrow at 9 so I am ending the blog here and getting my ass to bed.

Autobots…rollout!

~Will

\m/

No comments:

Post a Comment