Monday, July 11, 2011

On the Saints' Road of Matchmaking

My reading today was from my professor, Dr. Wilbur, wrote a short story called Gallarus and the Saints’ Road telling the best routes to take around certain parts of Ireland and some of the sites one would specifically want to see on the Dingle Peninsula and its surrounding areas near Killarney. Aside from sounding like the weather was atrocious, the story (or better described as travel journal entry) was very informative and will probably prove useful while I am over there. I guess if I had went to the same vacation spot for over 15 years, I’d get frustrated listening to other idiotic tourists and guides on the best routes to take as well.

Watching an Irish movie a day is becoming rather interesting. Yesterday it was on a laptop; today was on a Galaxy S phone. The selection was a movie entitled Matchmaker starring Janeane Garofalo, Jay O. Sanders, David O'Hara and Dennis Leary. It’s a typical 90’s romantic comedy involving some known American actors on the topic of the old time tradition of matchmaking, of whom is a badass old actor with the cool Irish accent.

Garofalo is sent to find a senators Irish relatives to help him win the election, and naturally, she falls in love with an asshole Irishman who sweeps her off of her feet, fuckin’ clichĂ©s….The movie was much more bearable then Man of Aran. Not my first pick for movies to watch, and honestly I prefer the matchmaker from what I remember of The Quiet Man, which I’ll be watching later this week.

Last but not least, my choice of song for the evening. A pissed off Irish song that I love and I’m pretty sure has been the background music to many Irish bar brawls for almost a century. ENJOY!



Damn the Irish know how to make badass folk music, don't they?

~Will

No comments:

Post a Comment